Prom. One of the best times in a young woman’s life but possibly, one of the most stressful as well. Take it from somebody who’s been there, it’s not worth the fuss ruin your special day buuut….every girl wants to look flawless. So, here are some tips to help you prepare for the second best night of your life.
1. The dress. Probably the thing that will cause you the most stress. But it doesn’t have to be. Stay true to yourself and pick what you like. If you want to be trendy, here is what’s in for this year.
- Two-piece dresses. While I may not be the biggest fan they are quite a trend this year. They can show off your fit and toned stomach while still being classy enough for prom. If you are going to pick a two-piece dress make sure it doesn’t show too much of your midriff. Prom is classy so yyou still want to look classy and elegant, make sure both the top and bottom fit and nothing is going to be falling off during the night. Make sure it’s comfortable. Sometimes a flowy dress is more comfortable than something that hugs you at your waist.
- Open backs. I love open back dresses. They make you appear youthful and elegant but they still give you a bit of spark, something every girl should have on prom night. They add a detail to the dress that no amount of sparkle ever can. And they make you feel a little bit rebellious but in the best way possible.
- Sparkles and crystals. When you first think of a prom dress, you think “sparkle.” The classic and almost cliché amount of sparkle or crystals that are typically found on a prom dress. They make you feel like a princess and like you are that diamond in the rough. No matter how many times somebody wears a dress with even a tiny bit of sparkle on it, it can never be too many times. I believe that you can never go wrong with crystals, just leave the face crystals for Coachella.
- Slits. Prom is most likely the first super formal event that you will ever attend. It also marks a time of independence and growing up. Every girl wants to feel a little sexy at prom night (even if she won’t admit it). The perfect way to achieve the innocent-sexy look is with a slit in your dress. A little leg action can go a long way. I am one hundred percent on board with the leg slits.
- Cut outs. I’m off and on about likening cut outs. As long as they are in all of the right places, I love them. Classy and tasteful if done on the sides just above the waist but if any of the fabric is missing from the front, no. I can’t stand the look of a lovely dress being held together by a small section at the from in the middle. But hey, whatever floats your boat. Maybe you’ll be that one gorgeous babe that can pull it off!
- Mesh. If you’re a little more conservative but still want the effect of cut outs, use mesh. Coloured mesh can give the effect of a fabric but gives the look a sex appeal. It’s stunning when used in all forms anywhere on the dress. Whether the mesh is skin tone or coloured, it looks breathtaking. It also provides a way to prevent those backless dresses from falling down. I love mesh because it gives a glamorous look and it’s so perfect for prom.
- High necklines. There is something appealing about modesty. It looks so elegant and beautiful that it is automatically stunning. Who says you need to bare it all anyways? High necklines can look fabulous on any figure but I suggest that if you want to wear a fuller dress, opt out of a high neck.
2. Make up. A girl can spend two minutes or two hours perfecting her makeup. I suggest taking the shorter route and knowing exactly what you want when you either go get your makeup done or do it yourself. If you are doing it yourself, make sure you practice beforehand. Never try new techniques or products the day of prom.
- Defined eyebrows. All year we have seen bold, defined eyebrows make their way into the beauty world (thanks Cara Delevingne). Defining your eyebrows can really pull together your makeup, define the rest of your face and make a bold statement. They are sure to turn heads (in a good way) just make sure that if you have lighter hair, use a brow product 1-2 times darker than your hair and if you have darker hair, use a brow product 1-2 times lighter than your hair.
- Cut crease. A cut crease can really accentuate your eyes and help give that smokey look. It adds drama to the eye and can be subtle or very in-your-face.
- Winged eyeliner. There are so many varieties of winged eyeliners that you are sure to find on that looks good on you. Winged eyeliner, or even just liquid eyeliner is great because it helps to hide the false lashes (that you should totally wear) but it also helps to define your eye more and add to both the smokey-ness and the drama. It will look great in pictures and adds a bit of class to the overall look. Both liquid and winged eyeliner really pull together the whole prom makeup look.
- Nude or Bold Lips. There is no inbetween when it comes to the colour of your lips. Both styles are very in right now but what you wear depends on your eye makeup, your dress, your sale and, most importantly, what you prefer. If you are doing a dramatic eye, generally go for a nude or pale pink lips. Although, I do like the overall bold look. It is a little fashion forward but if you are comfortable in it, rock it. If you’re doing a subtle eye, go for a bold lip. With a subtle eye, you can most definitely also pair a nude lip. Don’t choose “Barbie doll pink” or coral. Go nude or go dark.
3. Hair. Definitely the most versatile part of the look. There is a general guideline for picking a hairstyle that will look best with the neckline of your dress but for hair, go with what you like. I love a classic updo but make it messy. It is prom after all, not a wedding. This year, half up, half down styles have been in. The simple “do it yourself” look but better. A little classier. And I love the simplicity and naturalness of it.
4. Nails. To complete the look every girl has treat herself to a manicure. The best way to do this is to grab your girls and do each other’s. So much fun and it’ll get you super excited for the big day!
- Simple. The best way to do your nails, in my opinion, is a classic French tip or an all over nude colour for a clean, polished look. The point is to not take away from the dress with too much detail or colour but to accentuate it. Simple nails are the perfect way to achieve this goal.
- Sparkle. Too much sparkle? Never. Sparkle is great for prom. Try to add small hints of sparkle to the tips of your nails on top of a French manicure or do an accent nail complete with sparkle. Prom is all about the glitz and glam. That means sparkle. Iadding sparkle to your nails is also a great way to add some shine and shimmer if your dress does not have any crystals or sparkles.
- Bold colours. If you have a simple dress or a dress with a pattern. Choose a colour in the pattern or a colour that looks good with your dress and paint your entire nail with the colour. This is a great way to add some fun and extra splashes of colour without taking away from the dress. It also shows off your spark and youthfulness. I love this look.
In the end, choose what you like, make sure you’re comfortable, and have tons of fun!
If you’re going to prom, send me a picture! Or if you have any trends that you like, tell me about them!
Click on the links to see some dresses I like